Special Summer Program 2021
With Summer fast approaching, The Edge is offering various summer programs for students to explore new academic topics and fields of study. These below courses enable students to extend their knowledge of an area of interest, and to develop their critical thinking and communication skills through our practical courses with our interactive teaching methodology.
Total 20 Hours of Instruction with 1 Research Paper / Project / Topic Discussion (Cost: HK$8,000)
Financial Literacy: Introduction to Business
(Tutor: Regina Ng)
The Business course is designed to increase financial literacy of students, prepare them to navigate and manage real-life personal finances, and provide added substance ‘top up’ to IGCSE/AP/IB Economics/Business Studies syllabus. Students will be able to understand and manage savings, debt, basic investments, and build an Excel Spreadsheet for personal finances at the end of the course.
• Increase financial literacy of students
• Prepare students to navigate and manage real-life personal finances
• Designed to provide added substance to GCSE/AP/IB Economics/Business Studies ‘top up’ syllabus [students who do not take those subjects should still be able to comfortably attend and learn from this material]
• Comfortable with basic spreadsheets in Excel/Google spreadsheets [probably require each student to have a device with access to Microsoft Excel or google spreadsheets]
Exploring Physical and Life Science
(Tutor: Luke Palmer)
The Science course designed to cover topics in four of the major science subjects; 1) Chemistry, 2) Biology, 3) Physics and 4) Earth Science. The topics range across ideas such as pollution, alternative energy, living things, endangered species, space and universe, and structure of the Earth.
• Enable students to find out about different areas of science
• Learn topics in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Earth science
• Topics give a breadth of ideas that are environmentally and the universe around us
• Using various teaching techniques to make topics interactive and work in groups
• Tailored to help engage students from grade 9 to grade 11
|Course Type||Period||Day & Time|
|Early Summer Class||6 - 17 Jun 2022||
Mon - Fri
10:00 - 12:00 (D) (B)
12:00 - 14:00 (S)
15:00 - 17:00 (J)
|Intensive A||27 Jun - 8 Jul 2022|
|Intensive B||18 - 29 Jul 2022|
|Intensive C||15 - 26 Aug 2022|
(Tutor: Robyn Goyette / Jonathan Ault / Kevin Kwok)
In this course students will use various images and photographs to practice writing descriptive essays by applying sensory details, figurative language, evocative diction, and dramatic punctuation. Note, this is not a narrative writing course.
• To develop effective writing skills.
• To apply various language devices and techniques.
• To use a range of vocabulary, sentences and punctuation.
• To compose a well-structured essay.
Grade 7-10 students in ISEB/DSE/MYP/IGCSE who are looking to improve their descriptive writing skills.
(Tutor: Robyn Goyette / Jonathan Ault)
The Journalism course is designed specifically for students who have a strong grasp of the English Language but little exposure to journalistic writing. The course focuses on structural features and stylistic devices that bring students beyond classroom writing tasks and into the world of online articles, including blogs, vlogs and other modern forms of journalism.
• To foster critical, creative and independent thinking skills through exploring the writer’s intentions
• To recognise and apply structural features and stylistic devices used in journalistic writing
• To produce and evaluate writing that is accurate, faire, has clarity, appropriate style and grammatical correctness
Grades 7-10 students who have a strong grasp of the English Language but little
exposure to journalistic writing.
Strengthen your skills and put your learning into practice! Join our summer programs now!
Call us at 2972 2555 (Causeway Bay) / 2783 7100 (Mong Kok) 0r WhatsApp us at 6596 6834 for more details!
Looking for other summer courses? View our schedule HERE! All classes are available both online and in-class.
About The Edge
The Edge Learning Center is Hong Kong’s premier Test Preparation, Academic Tutoring, and Admissions Consulting services provider. Founded in 2008, The Edge has helped thousands of students improve their ACT and SAT scores as well as their IB and AP grades. The AC team has just finished off another successful period in which students gained acceptance to schools such as Stanford, UChicago, Oxford, Cambridge, Cornell, Imperial, and many more! Check out our latest Admissions Results!