Terms & Conditions
MATERIALS AND STAFF
1. All lesson materials used by The Edge instructors and distributed to students (including textbooks, worksheets, etc.) remain the property of The Edge Learning Center. Any reproduction, distribution or sharing with other parties without the express prior written consent of The Edge Learning Center is strictly prohibited. Some courses may require an additional fee for the purchase of textbooks and/or other course materials.
2. All lesson scheduling, payment, and logistical issues should be taken up with our Educational Consultants and Center Managers. The Edge teachers are not responsible for scheduling or any other non-academic matters. Parents and students are not encouraged to contact teachers directly outside of lesson hours. If you would like to contact one of our teachers or arrange a consultation to discuss lesson progress, please do so through the front desk staff or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Full-time employees of The Edge Learning Center, teachers and counselors may only provide educational services at The Edge centers.
4. The Edge Learning Center reserves the right to refuse the admission of any student who, in its opinion, is detrimental to the general welfare of the school.
5. The Edge Learning Center reserves the right to discontinue a student’s enrolment at any time for poor attendance, non-payment or underpayment of tuition, disruptive behavior, or any behavior that is disrupting of the school operations or other students’ learning.
LESSON RESERVATIONS AND BOOKINGS
6. The Edge Learning Center operates a “first-come first-serve” and confirmation-by-payment policy in allocating teaching schedules and reserves the right to release any reserved lessons that have only been verbally confirmed or have passed confirmation deadline. Full payment must be received prior to the indicated deadline in order for lessons to be scheduled
7. Students must pay for all lessons before attending class. Should a student come to a lesson before payment, The Edge Learning Center reserves the right to preclude the student from attending the class. To avoid such situations, please ensure payment prior to attending the lessons.
8. For bookings in subsequent months, lessons must be confirmed within three working days or not later than the 24th of the current month (whichever occurs first). Students must pay for all lessons no more than three working days after confirmation or 24 hours before attending class (whichever occurs first).
9. Regular timeslots will be reserved only for students booking 3 or more lessons in a given month with a single teacher. These timeslots will be reserved in subsequent months provided that students pay for the following month’s lessons no less than 7 days prior to the start of the calendar month.
10. We will not reserve timeslots in subsequent months for students booking fewer than 3 lessons in a given month with a single teacher. To retain a given timeslot, lessons must be booked and paid for in accordance with our booking policy noted above.
11. Students are encouraged to attend all enrolled sessions in order to keep up with the teaching progress and retain their regular reserved schedules. If a student misses more than 30% of a regular monthly schedule, the reserved timeslot may be released.
12. The Edge does not offer make-up classes or refunds for missed classes resulting from school activities, field trips, sickness (unless a doctor’s note is provided), or scheduling conflicts. Parents and students are responsible for checking their own schedules before confirming lessons.
13. Same-day bookings (defined as bookings for lessons happening on the same day as the booking) are subject to a $200 surcharge.
14. Lessons reserved with The Edge are non-transferable. Once a student’s name is confirmed at the time of booking, only that student may attend the booked lessons. Trading or switching lessons with friends or family members is not permitted.
LESSON CANCELLATIONS AND RESCHEDULING
15. Lessons cancelled 14 days or more prior to the scheduled lesson are subject the following conditions:
a. The Edge will work with students and families to reschedule the lesson to a convenient time or facilitate a refund for the cancelled lesson.
16. Lessons cancelled more than 48 hours prior to the scheduled time but fewer than 14 days prior are subject to the following conditions:
a. The Edge staff will offer families at least one option for a rescheduled lesson to take place within 7 days of the originally scheduled lesson, and the time, date, and teacher of the rescheduled lesson will be assigned by The Edge (we will arrange an appropriate teacher of the same subject specialization in the case that the original teacher is unavailable, and if the course fees of the original lessons are more than that of the rescheduled lessons, the difference will be forfeited).
b. Lessons will be rescheduled to times outside normal school hours unless otherwise requested by students.
c. Once a rescheduled lesson is confirmed, it cannot be rescheduled again. Students who miss the rescheduled lesson will forfeit the lesson fees.
d. If none of the rescheduling options provided by The Edge are suitable, the student will forfeit the original lesson fees.
17. The Edge does not offer rescheduling or refunds to lessons cancelled with fewer than 48 hours notice prior to the scheduled lesson time (unless in the case of a medical emergency, in which case a doctor’s note is required).
18. Final approval for all rescheduling and refunds is based on The Edge Management decision.
19. In case of school closure prior to the commencement of a course, The Edge will refund in full the course fee collected to students.
20. In a course cannot be operated according to the arrangement specified in the fee receipts and students decline the revised arrangements offered by The Edge, The Edge will refund in full or a pro-rata basis the course fee collected to students as soon as possible and in any event not later than one month after the students have requested for the refund.
21. If a course cannot be operated on the date or at the time specified in the course leaflet and students decline the revised arrangements offered by The Edge, The Edge will refund in full or on a pro-rata basis the course fee collected to students as son as possible and in any event not later than one month after the students have requested for the refund.
22. In case of cessation of a course after its commencement, The Edge will refund to students the course fee collected on a pro-rata basis as soon as possible and in any event not later than one month after the cessation of the course.
23. The Edge will inform students of the refund arrangement either over the telephone or in writing. For students aged below 18, their parents or guardians can proceed with the refund procedures on behalf of the students.
24. The Edge will refund students in accordance with the above policies.
25. When processing the refund, The Edge will not take away the original fees receipts. Upon receipt of the refund, students or parents should sign to acknowledgement the receipt.
26. The Edge will pay the refund either in cash or by cheque.
ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS
27. The Edge Learning Center will be closed when typhoon signal No. 8 or above or black rainstorm warning is hoisted. Classes will resume two hours after such warnings are lowered or removed.
28. At times, a typhoon my increase in intensity or a rainstorm signal is raised while students are at school. If this happens, The Edge Learning Center must dismiss students before the end of the regular class; parents will be contacted with the approximate dismissal time.
29. Courses, individual lessons, and private group lessons that are disrupted or cancelled due to adverse weather conditions will not be refunded or rescheduled.
30. Individual lessons or private group lessons that are canceled due to adverse weather conditions will be rescheduled within 24-hours of allocated times arranged by The Edge Learning Center. If students cannot attend the lessons at the given times, then there will be no additional re-scheduling or refund for the lessons.
The Edge reserves the right to amend company policy and all terms and conditions without prior notice.
Last updated December 19, 2013
ATTENTION: This legal notice applies to the entire contents of the Website under the domain name http://www.theedge.com.hk (the “Website”) and to any correspondence by e-mail between us and you. Please read these terms carefully before using the Website. Using the Website indicates that you accept these terms regardless of whether or not you choose to register with us. If you do not accept these terms, do not use the Website. This notice is issued by Bain Capital Rise Education (HK) Limited (the “Company”).
1.1 You may access most areas of the Website without registering your details with us. Certain areas of the Website are only open to you if you register.
1.2 By accessing any part of the Website, you shall be deemed to have accepted this legal notice in full. If you do not accept this legal notice in full, you must leave the Website immediately.
1.3 The Company may revise this legal notice at any time by updating this posting. You should check the Website from time to time to review the then current legal notice, because it is binding on you. Certain provisions of this legal notice may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at the Website.
2.1 You are permitted to print and download extracts from the Website [for your non-commercial, personal use only] on the following basis:
(a) no documents or related graphics on the Website are modified in any way;
(b) no graphics on the Website are used separately from the corresponding text; and
(c) the Company’s copyright and trade mark notices and this permission notice appear in all copies.
2.2 Unless otherwise stated, the copyright and other intellectual property rights in all material on the Website (including without limitation photographs and graphical images, invention, formula, process or improvement, trade mark, service mark or name, copyright, design, plan, drawing, specification, text, system, sound or device of whatever nature which relates to the business and/or products of the Company) are owned by the Company or its licensors. For the purposes of this legal notice, any use of materials or any part thereof from the Website other than in accordance with clause 2.1 for any purpose is prohibited. If you breach any of the terms in this legal notice, your permission to use the Website automatically terminates and you must immediately destroy any downloaded or printed materials from the Website, and procure that any copies of such materials you have released to third parties are destroyed.
2.3 Subject to clause 2.1, no part of the Website may be reproduced or stored in any other website or included in any public or private electronic retrieval system or service without the Company’s prior written permission.
2.4 Any rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved.
3. SERVICE ACCESS
3.1 While the Company endeavours to ensure that the Website is normally available 24 hours a day, the Company shall not be liable if for any reason the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
3.2 Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond the Company’s control.
4. VISITOR MATERIAL AND CONDUCT
4.2 You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material:
(a) that is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience; or
(b) for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals; or
(c) which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party, in any country in the world; or
(d) which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
4.3 For the avoidance of doubt, if you or any user of the Website posts or transmits any material which falls under clause 4.2 (a),(b),(c) and or (d) above, the Company does not endorse and bears no responsibility for such material.
4.4 You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
4.5 The Company shall fully co-operate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing the Company to disclose the identity or locate anyone posting any material in breach of clause 4.2 or clause 4.3.
4.6 Unauthorised use of the Website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
5. LINKS TO AND FROM OTHER WEBSITES
5.1 Links to third party websites on the Website are provided solely for your convenience. If you use these links, you leave the Website. The Company has not reviewed all of these third party websites and does not control and is not responsible for these websites or their content or availability. The Company therefore does not endorse or make any representations about them, or any material found there, or any results that may be obtained from using them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to the Website, you do so entirely at your own risk.
5.2 If you would like to link to the Website, you may only do so on the basis that you link to, but do not replicate, the home page of the Website, and subject to the following conditions:
(a) you do not remove, distort or otherwise alter the size or appearance of the Bain Capital Rise Education (HK) Limited. logo;
(b) you do not create a frame or any other browser or border environment around the Website;
(c) you do not in any way imply that the Company is endorsing any products or services other than its own;
(d) you do not misrepresent your relationship with the Company nor present any other false information about the Company;
(e) you do not otherwise use any Bain Capital Rise Education (HK) Limited trade marks displayed on the Website without express written permission from the Company;
(f) you do not link from a website that is not owned by you; and
(g) your website does not contain content that is distasteful, offensive or controversial, infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or otherwise does not comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
5.3 The Company expressly reserves the right to revoke the right granted in clause 5.2 for breach of these terms and to take any action it deems appropriate.
5.4 You shall fully indemnify the Company for any loss or damage suffered by the Company or any of its group companies for breach of clause 5.2.
6.1 Each registration is for a single user only. The Company does not permit you to share your user name and password with any other person nor with multiple users on a network.
6.2 Responsibility for the security of any passwords issued rests with you.
7.1 While the Company endeavours to ensure that the information on the Website is correct, the Company does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the material on the Website. The Company may make changes to the material on the Website, or to the products and prices described in it, at any time without notice. The material on the Website may be out of date, and the Company makes no commitment to update such material.
7.2 The material on the Website is provided “as is”, without any conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind. Accordingly, to the maximum extent permitted by law, the Company provides you with the Website on the basis that the Company excludes all representations, warranties, conditions and other terms (including, without limitation, the conditions implied by law of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and the use of reasonable care and skill), but for this legal notice, might have effect in relation to the Website.
8.1 The Company, any other party (whether or not involved in creating, producing, maintaining or delivering the Website), and any of the Company’s group companies and the officers, directors, employees, shareholders or agents of any of them, exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damages, or any loss of income, profits, goodwill, data, contracts, use of money, or loss or damages arising from or connected in any way to business interruption, and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract or otherwise) in connection with the Website in any way or in connection with the use, inability to use or the results of use of the Website, any websites linked to the Website or the material on such websites, including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the Website or your downloading of any material from the Website or any websites linked to the Website.
8.2 Nothing in this legal notice shall exclude or limit the Company’s liability for:
(a) death or personal injury caused by negligence; or
(b) fraud; or
(c) misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
(d) any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
8.3 If your use of material on the Website results in the need for servicing, repair or correction of equipment, software or data, you assume all costs thereof.
9. GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
This legal notice shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong. Disputes arising in connection with this legal notice shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Hong Kong courts.
Issue Date: September 12, 2012