10 Questions about Character for Seniors Applying to the US
By Toa Lohe
(Admissions Consultant at The Edge Learning Center)
A student’s final year of high school is significant. No one should relax. For students around the world, senior year will influence the next decade of their lives. The right degree from a great college will offer business opportunities, love, travel, and much more. Applying to college is intense and stressful, but students who prepare will have an edge. Please answer the following questions to succeed in the admissions process:
1) What have you done for the last two summers?
Did you work? Volunteer? Study? Travel? Explore? Did you learn more about yourself?
2) Which summer activity did you enjoy?
Straightforward question! Share why you liked it.
3) Have you taken advantage of an educational opportunity? Overcome an educational barrier? How has it affected your academic achievement?
Demonstrate your willingness to seek out challenges. What did one challenge teach you?
4) Favorite quotes?
Don’t feel bad if you quote a pop artist! In some cases, it’s worthwhile to find 2-3 quotes linked to your prospective major in college.
5) What book or story captured your imagination through the ideas it revealed to you? Share how those ideas influenced you.
Are you a fan of Harry Potter? Did you read comics? Do you learn life lessons from fiction?
6) What truth or knowledge do you want to see shared? What does it mean to you to be educated?
This question is a bit tricky. Write down a list of facts your friends should know. Which one is the most important? Should they know more about global history? Cancer research? As for being educated, what do people have to do? Study hard? Think clearly?
7) Mention a specific degree, career opportunity, or personal goal. What do you hope to achieve while in college? Think about who you would want to meet in college and what you would do there.
Think about your prospective major and possible career.
8) When have you questioned something that you believed to be true?
Some students with this question. That’s okay! Other students will discuss their religious beliefs. Others will share discussions with their teachers about specific topics.
9) What is the most important event in your life?
Difficult question! Write down an event you remember the best!
10) Write a story about yourself. What would you say to an admissions committee?
Reflect on your past. Analyze details. Write a great story sharing your values!
Need more advice from Toa? Contact us for an Initial Meeting!
About The Edge
The Edge Learning Center is Hong Kong’s premier Test Preparation, Academic Tutoring, and Admissions Consulting services provider. Founded in 2008, The Edge has helped thousands of students improve their ACT and SAT scores as well as their IB and AP grades. The AC team has just finished off another successful period in which students gained acceptance to schools such as Columbia, Yale, UChicago, UPenn, Oxford, and more! Check out our latest Admissions Results!