Prepare for the Most Popular College Readiness Exam
Known traditionally as the excellent “alternative” to the SAT for students applying to US universities, the ACT has dominated the pre-college assessment landscape since 2012. Ahead of all test prep centers, our ACT courses were designed in early 2015 utilizing the same proven test prep methodology we’ve always used to help students obtain incredible results.
What is the ACT?
The ACT is a standardized examination that American universities use as a tool for admissions. The ACT Test is a curriculum- and standards-based educational tool that assesses students’ academic readiness for college.
The ACT is accepted by all four-year colleges and universities in the US.
Who is it for?
Any student interested in attending university in the US should consider taking the ACT or at least a mock exam. Taking a mock or practice exam allows students to understand where they rank among students worldwide, which universities they should consider researching, and what steps they need to take to earn the score they need to attend their ideal school.
Furthermore, once students have earned an ACT score, they are able to better understand how admissions scores such as the ACT or SAT fit into the overall academic profile of a college applicant. School grades, extracurricular activities, and personal essays are just some of the additional factors that admissions officers weigh along with ACT/SAT scores in determining who gets admitted and who doesn’t.
When to take it?
The ACT is offered five times a year internationally – in April, June, September, October, and December. Most students take the ACT for the first time during the winter of their Grade 11/Year 12 year and a second time during the fall of their Grade 12/Year 13 year.
For more information on the test, and to talk to our experts, come to one of our free ACT seminars.
Remaining ACT Dates in 2017:
Oct 28, 2017* (Registration Deadline: September 22, 2017)***
Dec 9, 2017 (Registration Deadline: November 3, 2017)***
*Please note: some test centers in Hong Kong and Macau will replace the October 28 test date with a special session on November 11 to accommodate the Chung Yeung Festival holiday. Visit ACT website.
***To register for the test and see upcoming test dates, visit the ACT website.
ACT vs SAT
Although often grouped together, there are a number of important differences between the two tests that students and parents should be aware of.
- Students find the timing of the ACT to be intimidating
- The ACT includes a section on Science Reasoning (data interpretation and synthesis skills)
- The ACT’s optional essay focuses on issue-analysis skills
- Students score between 1 and 36 on each section, with an average composite score
Click here for a one-page summary on the differences.
Come to The Edge for a free diagnostic ACT and SAT so you can compare for yourself!
ACT Boot Camp
Comprehensive Course on: English • Math • Reading • Science • Essay
- The ultimate ACT course for those who want the largest gain in the shortest time
- Personalized drilling exercises designed to target students’ individual weaknesses
- Drilling sets comprising 1000s of practice questions
- Teaches fundamentals, strategies, and classic questions for all sections of the test
- 3 full length mocks with reviews led by top ACT instructors
Good For: Families with busy Summer schedules who need the most comprehensive ACT test preparation.
70 Hours of Instruction + 3 Full Mock Tests with Review – HK$35,000 – Get the schedule >>
Comprehensive Course on: English • Math • Reading • Science • Essay
Obtain what you truly need to be “prepared” for the ACT
- Includes techniques and strategies for dealing with difficult questions
- Covers the fundamental concepts that appear on the examination
- Consists of an all-new approach to writing the optional essay
- Students can retake the course for free
Good For: Students who want the most comprehensive introduction to ACT preparation.
30 Hours of Instructions + 3 Full Mock Tests – HK$14,800 – Get the schedule >>
Intensive Course Focusing on specific subjects: English • Math • Reading • Science • Essay
Take one, take two, take them all
- Carefully mapped drilling materials for comprehensive test exposure and practice
- Section-focused for need-based scheduling
- Each test specific course is taught by subject and topic specialist test preparation instructors
- Best value for real practice questions from actual exams
Good For: Students who want to fix specific subject weaknesses and obtain higher than a 90% Percentile on their composite score.
*Prerequisite: Have completed ACT Essentials Course and have scored higher than 26 in the ACT mock or official test.
20 Hours of Instructions for each subject + 3 Full Mock Tests – HK$10,800 – Get the schedule >>
ACT Power Series
5 Real Tests • Detailed Review Session with Test Prep Teacher
The last, but vital push to score in the top echelon
- Intensive drilling of one full mock ACT per session
- Detailed reviews of each mock tests to identify and correct errors
Good For: Students with strong base knowledge, who wants to push their scores higher and be prepared for the timing of the test
*Prerequisite: Have completed ACT Essentials Course and have scored higher than 30 in the ACT mock or official test.
5 Mock Tests + 5 Lessons of Reviews – HK$6,750 per course / HK$1,350 per day – Get the schedule >>
Individual Attention • Customized Schedule
- Uses The Edge’s proprietary ACT Test Prep system to identify and eliminate areas of weakness
- Available in 1-on-1,-2, and -3 settings
Good for: Students who need more individual attention or who have busy schedules
Call us for the Group Study Discount!
Why The Edge?
All of our teachers boast degrees from top American or British universities and undergo 60+hours of intensive training, one year of mentoring, and teacher shadowing to ensure a consistent and high standard of pedagogy. Students can receive the same quality of test prep training for any ACT class at The Edge.
Chosen by Schools
The Edge works with a number of leading international schools and educational organizations to offer on-campus courses at schools across Hong Kong.
Students can retake the entire course, or a portion thereof, for free as many times as they like.
Proprietary Course Content developed from Decades of Test Preparation Experience
All of our ACT test preparation course materials are developed in-house by a team of expert content developers based on our founder’s decades of knowledge. Duc Luu and our course developers formulated many of the strategies and techniques based off of Luu’s decades of local experience as a Master Trainer for the top test preparation companies. The content is constantly updated to reflect the latest changes in the ACT exam itself, and is designed specifically for the needs of students in Hong Kong.
The Edge offers two convenient locations, one in Causeway Bay and another in Mongkok.
Our teachers provide regular progress reports to students in one-on-one lessons so parents can better understand their children’s progress.